Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Guess the quote...

You and I are told increasingly that we have to choose between a left or right, but I would like to suggest that there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down--up to a man's age-old dream, the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order--or down to the ant heap totalitarianism, and regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

:^)

That's what a Republican used to sound like. Ronald Reagan from the P.M. era (pre-me) of the early 60s.

I'd love to hear a single Republican talk like that again. I don't suppose they can hold their heads high enough though.

Peter said...

Nicely played, I'm NN

Anonymous said...

Is it possible that may have been while he was still a Democrat? I found a link which dates the quote to October 27, 1964. Wikipedia implies that Ronnie switched after the election of 1964 (no earlier than 1960, no later than 1966).

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure of his affiliation at the time he said it, but when I heard it (he quoted himself!) was during his first term as Pres. And I'm pretty sure he was a Republican at that time!

Although today it's hard to remember what a real Republican was.

schmidlap said...

I'm Not Ned, I think Ronnie himself may also have had a hard time remembering what a real Republican was, though for very different reasons.