Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I'd like to buy this man a drink..

The Washington Post: At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia's newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat Jim Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn't long before Bush found him.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't read the last response by Webb anywhere. Yeah, I don't think these two will get along well.

born_in_a_shed said...

In return, congress allowed Drinky and Darth to make a mockery of the constitution while sacrificing life and limb of America's youth (not to mention tens of thousands of Iraqis) to make the world safe for Wall Street, Halliburton and Exxon.

Let me start by saying Im all for getting out of the middle east, and I believe that the current "war" (although only congress can declare war ?) to be both illegal and immoral. However, I consider the capital markets to be a large part of why the US economy has traditionaly been a very successful one. Do you really believe that the Iraq occupation is making wall street safer? Does that mean it's making New York safer? If New York is safer, then isn't anything west of New York safer too?

I'd agree if you said that the war made Halliburton and Exxon billions of dollars, but I don't think it's affected their safety very much at all. Internationally all american businesses are taking a popularity hit, so if anything this occupation has damaged the longer term future of wall street.

schmidlap said...

I was confused, but then I realized Shed may have commented on the wrong article. This probably oughta be attached to the next one down?

Rousing Rabble said...

Right you are my good Schmidlap, but as Shed posted here, I'll address his comment here... I think that I left out a word or two which would have made my comment less murky. My point was that those three entities are the poster children for those who have reaped the benefit of Drinky/Darth's economic and foreign policies. So rather than making the world safe for democracy, Drinky and Darth have made it safe for corporate malfeasance and obscene windfall profits.

born_in_a_shed said...

Doh!