Wednesday, August 31, 2005

NOLA And The Neanderthal

First off, much like everyone else, I've been watching the desolation and destruction (there couldn't be two better words) that has been happening in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast, and I can't help but feel sorry for these people. Many of them thought likely that the worst had passed with Katrina and then came the popping of the levees and the flooding which has put about 80% of New Orleans underwater according to many reports.

In a separate forum, Blogger
par excellence Schmidlap said that everyone should make a contribution to the American Red Cross. Bravo, Schmidlap, bravo. I wholeheartedly agree and will be opening my pocketbook to the cause as well. However, in the wake of all the horrible things that are going on, I can't help but have a couple of thoughts in mind that leave me rather perplexed and agitated for thinking in such a way.

  1. How many times did the local media and law enforcement outlets tell the locals to GET THE HELL OUT? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm below sea level and 160 mph of wind and hell and fury are coming my way, I'm punching my ticket out of dodge, pride be damned. If nothing else, it necessitates a much less materialistic lifestyle. You get attached to the things that are attached to you and everything else can float away and be replaced (to a point). Those who put themselves in harm's way to rescue the people who didn't heed the warnings of the local constabulary, well, if they wanted to let those people just die courtesy of a little something Darwin called "natural selection," well, that only makes the species stronger, right?
  2. Looting. There were COUNTLESS photos on the web and on the television of people looting anything that they can get their grubby opportunistic paws on. I'm sure that major grocery stores and/or convenience marts who could get federal disaster relief (and itinerant good will for helping in the most dire time of need) wouldn't mind opening their doors to people who needed stuff. That's fine. But to loot? To take someone else's property without their permission? C'mon, the waters are over your head and this is the time to steal a television set? Or furniture? Or clothes? I may be a little draconian, and it sure as hell isn't "the punishment fits the crime", but in my mind, there's only one solution. Gangland style executions by law enforcement. Take that person who is busy trying to climb out the broken windows of Circuit City with the flat screen television (because let's face it, there's power AND cable where they live) and just put a bullet right a'tween their eyeballs. Only one, enough to maybe get some gray matter to ooze out just for good measure. Then take and hang 'em outside the establishment with a little sign around their neck that says "No Shoplifting". If that don't drive the point home, then drop them in the biggest alligator and poisonous snake infested hole you can find and see where they are on the food chain.
  3. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and their relief dollars. Am I the only one who wouldn't be surprised if the government said, "Well, uh...because we have to support the 101st Airborne and their patrols in dangerous parts of Iraq and Afghanistan, the federal government just doesn't have any money left to spare to help victims of a natural disaster. Check with your insurance company." Now, I'm sorry, but an environmentalist (and I'm the furthest thing from a tree hugger you'll find) made the rather blunt point that thanks to the levee system, land is disappearing around the bayou and barrier islands that would've otherwise taken some of the steam out of the hurricane. Oh, and add global warming (even though Chimpy doesn't ascribe to the proven scientific theory) which makes the water warmer and gives these storms more energy to feed and become more powerful, aren't the collective "we" to blame to some extent for the severity of the disaster?
  4. Gas is going to spike. Hard. I already have truckers charging fuel surcharges in excess of 20% and I saw premium for $3.25/gallon in Schiller Park this afternoon at a Marathon station. Now would, I think, be a good time to mention that "alternative fuel" thing in passing to anybody who will listen.
I can't imagine what it is like to be there right now. They said tonight that I-10, the major interstate between Lousiana and Mississippi, could take YEARS to rebuild because parts of it have just gone missing and from the air it looks like a long dashed line with pieces gone. Hopefully there's a lesson to be learned here. The only question is whether those who need said lesson are even paying attention.

My money says they're too busy on their mountain bike or on holiday to really notice or give a damn.

No comments: