Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Adventures in TEA PARTY Campaigns: Rand Paul’s Sane and Lucid College Daze

He’s a wild and crazy guy now:

He wouldn’t have voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964 because he thinks business owners should discriminate against patrons on the basis of race. Tell that to a black family driving through the heart of Dixie who can’t find a restroom to relieve their bladders, (Ayn) Rand. Following the West Virginia and Kentucky mine tragedies, Paul would oppose regulating the mines. He also said mountaintop removal isn’t too bad: “Most people would say the land is of enhanced value.”

More rapid-fire looniness from Rand Paul, the wingnut: He claims smoking in restaurants is a “God-given liberty;” shunned MTP to go on a 9/11-conspiracy show, Russia Today; he came out in favor of repealing the 14th Amendment; said President Obama was “un-American” for criticizing BP; and so on.

Back in college, though, Rand Paul almost straddled the line of normalcy. In this endearing article by GQ, we learn that while a student at Baylor (he dropped out) Randy (as he was known then) belonged to a “secret society” called the NoZe Brotherhood. According to a Baylor president, NoZe brothers practiced “lewd, crude, and grossly sacrilegious” activities. The Brotherhood was suspended from campus and anyone discovered to be a NoZe brother was automatically expelled. One of Paul’s former brothers said they liked tweaking the school’s religiosity and “aspired to blasphemy.” (Now there’s something Sister Sarah and Sharron Commandment can get behind.) Cool!

But then Randy got into some extra weird stuff like, oh … alleged kidnapping:
“The strangest episode of Paul's time at Baylor occurred one afternoon in 1983 (although memories about all of these events are understandably a bit hazy, so the date might be slightly off), when he and a NoZe brother paid a visit to a female student who was one of Paul's teammates on the Baylor swim team. According to this woman, who requested anonymity because of her current job as a clinical psychologist, “He and Randy came to my house, they knocked on my door, and then they blindfolded me, tied me up, and put me in their car. They took me to their apartment and tried to force me to take bong hits. They'd been smoking pot.” After the woman refused to smoke with them, Paul and his friend put her back in their car and drove to the countryside outside of Waco, where they stopped near a creek. “They told me their god was 'Aqua Buddha' and that I needed to bow down and worship him,” the woman recalls. “They blindfolded me and made me bow down to 'Aqua Buddha' in the creek. I had to say, 'I worship you Aqua Buddha, I worship you.' At Baylor, there were people actively going around trying to save you and we had to go to chapel, so worshiping idols was a big no-no.”

Nearly 30 years later, the woman is still trying to make sense of that afternoon. “They never hurt me, they never did anything wrong, but the whole thing was kind of sadistic. They were messing with my mind. It was some kind of joke.” She hadn't actually realized that Paul wound up leaving Baylor early. “I just know I never saw Randy after that—for understandable reasons, I think.”

When I asked [Paul’s campaign manager Jesse] Benton late last week if Paul remembered any of these episodes from his Baylor days, he replied in an email: ‘During his time at Baylor, Dr. Paul competed on the swim team and was an active member of Young Conservatives of Texas.’”
Interestingly, the Paul campaign never denied the episode until the next day. Were they trying to get all their ducks in a row with frantic calls to NoZe brothers -- the old “her word against ours” defense? “Randy” was still vague about his alleged excellent kidnapping/bong adventure: “Well, I'm not really going to try to go back 27 years and remember everything I did in college…. I don’t think that really politicians should be asked to answer anonymous accusers from 27 years ago,” Paul said. “But I will categorically deny that I ever kidnapped anyone or forced anybody to use drugs.”

Here is exclusive video of Rand Paul and NoZe sidekick listening to their favorite Rush tune, “The Spirit of Radio”... getting in the spirit. No? But the link came from Breitbart.



Rush, a great progressive Canadian rock trio, is furious and demanded that the Paul campaign stop playing its songs.

No comments: