Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thankgiving plumbing repair...

So last night we had gotten ourselves all packed to head out to my sister's house in West Virginia for Thanksgiving. We also do Christmas with my family this week, so there's a lot to get done. This morning, mrsdrmagoo was going to head out to the gym for a little while, and I was going to load the car, and then the three of us were going to be on our way...

Of course not.

When I got downstairs this morning, mrsdrmagoo asked me to look at the ceiling. Which was wet. And then dripping. All over the place.

Now, normally we handle household repairs (even relatively major ones) ourselves, but this is not normally.

The first few calls to plumbers revealed that many of them were busy today. Finally, one called back...

And now the living room ceiling's being torn apart. And of course the leak is in a very difficult to access spot (although now he's found the leak, which is a good start).

The little guy's off at day care, since being around the plaster dust isn't good for him.

Whee!

Update: Well, it looks like they'll have to put a clamp on it for today, but that's not code, so they'll have to come back next week and pull out the old pipes and put in new ones. And then we can rebuild the living room ceiling...

4 comments:

Peter said...

Bummer doc, my condolences. Plumbing blows.

Rousing Rabble said...

Yikes Doc!! I have been where you are - no fun, but not as bad as it could have been... take my word for it

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Speaking from experience (my business is Woodstock Plumbing) the days around Thanksgiving and Christmas are extremely busy for us with residential plumbing repairs. A lot of it is people cooking more than usual and messing up their kitchen plumbing. But there's also an increase in non-kitchen related issues. That part I can't explain.

I'm glad you found somebody who was available to help you out. I hope they got you fixed up right!

Peter said...

Anyone in Atlanta who needs a plumber, give Scott a call! (I was thinking Woodstock, Illinois initially!)

Thanks for stopping by.