Tuesday, July 18, 2006

War...what is it good for?

I've had this post kicking around in my head for quite a while about the obvious point that the "global war on terror" just does not exist. The "war" is regularly tossed around as a justification for eroding freedom of the press and civil liberties, stifling political opposition and an excuse for lining the pockets of every defense contractor in the western hemisphere at a time when the "war" itself is absolutely illusory.

I have previously stated that we are not "at war" in Iraq, that the war is over and we are now an occupation force. I also noted that in terms of successful occupations, history is not on our side (insert "The Phillippines" here), but I've never really fleshed out the second part.

Luckily I don't have to--Joshua Holland does a tremendous job with this question over at Alternet. Read it, well worth your time.

No comments: