Monday, July 17, 2006

Alex, may I have hypocrisy for $200 please?

Valedictorian Wingnut Sues School

"A high school valedictorian whose microphone was cut off as she gave an address referring to Jesus Christ has filed a lawsuit against school officials, claiming her rights to religious freedom and free speech were trampled." (link)

Oh there are so many things here. First of all, of course, this was a PUBLIC high school, where proselytizing is just not appropriate. And then her comments were WAAAY beyond the "I'd like to thank God and my agent" nonsense you often here after sporting events that is annoying yet inconsequential. Brittany (of course) shared that "God's love is so great that he gave his only son up [this is when the school killed the mike] to an excruciating death on a cross so his blood would cover all our shortcomings and provide for us a way to heaven in accepting this grace."

Obviously that is far beyond what would be acceptable at a public school function. But beyond that, little Brit had PROMISED the school to stick to a vetted [editor's note: insert 'sane' here] version of the speech but just bubbled that "In my heart I couldn't say the edited version because it wasn't what I wanted to say...I wanted to say why I was successful, it involved Jesus Christ for me, period." So apparently, according to Brittany, Jesus endorses lying to your school.

And finally, of course we have a whackjob organization supporting her, The
Rutherford Institute. I can only hope that in this instance, her case isn't being presented by the bane of our existence, according to conservatives, the dreaded...

TRIAL LAWYER!!!

No comments: