Wednesday, September 14, 2005

That Toddlin' Town

Chicago, Chicago.....

Great city, beautiful lakefront, wonderful architecture, vibrant neighborhoods and one screwed-up city government!

Now I'm not talking about the large-scale mess, from hired trucks to ghost payrolling scandals. I am talking about city government incompetence as it effects me, because of course, it's all about me.

I came home to find a serious-looking certified letter from the city's Department of Streets and Sanitation. The contents were shocking. My car had been seized by the city because illegal drugs were found in it.

Before you jump to any conclusions about me--we have not owned this car since we donated it to charity in December 2004. We have all the paperwork, the Secretary of State-DMV shows that we no longer own it, all the pieces are in place, as a former Bears coach once stated.

Even though it is CLEARLY a city error, I can't just ignore it. If I did, I could get hit with a default judgment for a $1,000 penalty plus towing and storage charges. So what it boils down to is I have to file an application for a hearing, take a day off work and sit in some gawdawful waiting room forever just to show that I haven't owned a car for 9 months.

My kind of town, Chicago is....

No comments: