Only then did . . .
House Republican Leader John Boehner, with Eric Cantor, see fit to condemn the violence:
“I know many Americans are angry over this health care bill, and that Washington Democrats just aren't listening. But, as I've said, violence and threats are unacceptable. That's not the American way. We need to take that anger and channel it into positive change. Call your Congressman, go out and register people to vote, go volunteer on a political campaign, make your voice heard -- but let's do it the right way.”Democrats are not satisfied with the late Republican condemnation of violence, including a severed gas line in the home of Virginia Congressman Tom Perriello’s brother, who has four children. His address was posted online by the Teabaggers. The FBI is investigating. This is the result of a widespread campaign of lies, smears, and misinformation by a recklessly irresponsible (yes, it is an oxymoron) wingnut right:
- 67 percent of Republicans (and 40 percent of Americans overall) believe that Obama is a socialist. The belief that Obama is a “domestic enemy” is widely held—a sign of trouble yet to come.
- 57 percent of Republicans (32 percent overall) believe that Obama is a Muslim;
- 45 percent of Republicans (25 percent overall) agree with the Birthers in their belief that Obama was “not born in the United States and so is not eligible to be president;”
- 38 percent of Republicans (20 percent overall) say that Obama is “doing many of the things that Hitler did;”
- 24 percent of Republicans (14 percent overall) say that Obama “may be the Antichrist.”
- Teabaggers (rebels without a clue, many packing heat);
- Republicans who incited this violence with lies and misinformation, and never condemned the racism, the Hitler signs, the gun signs, the Nazi concentration camp signs right in front of their faces;
- Dick Armey, leader of the astro-turf FreedomWorks Teabaggers;
- Michelle Bachmann, who called for an investigation of “un-American” Democratic members of Congress;
- Sarah Palin with her “death panels” lie, crosshair icons to “target” Democratic legislators, and incendiary language “LOAD UP;”
- Texas Gov. Rick Perry talking up “tyranny” and secessionism;
- Birthers and their campaign to delegitimize President Obama;
- Roger Ailes, Rupert Murdoch, Fox “News,” Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, right wing hate radio, Bill O’Reilly, Karl Rove, Dick Morris, Michelle Malkin, Ann Coulter, Gretchen Carlson -- the entire wingnut anti-Obama propaganda machine;
- Joe Wilson, for calling the President a liar, breaking a longstanding tradition of civility in the well of the House, and then raising money off of it;
- Frank Luntz, a modern Joseph Goebbells, the GOP propaganda minister;
- RNC and Michael Steel for turning a blind eye to its worst excesses; and on and on and on.