Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Now I'm a civil libertarian but...

this one is a doozy. Here is a festive young prom-goer:

named KEVIN.


(link) The prom ticket was in hand: $85. The fuschia, slinky prom dress and strappy heels were ready. The whole week of giddy anticipation and pampering — more than $200 worth of a manicure, pedicure and hair set — was set to culminate with the grand walk into the glam ball.
But when Kevin Logan, a transgender and gay student at Gary’s West Side High School, arrived last Friday at Avalon Manor in Hobart for his prom, he was banned by Principal Diane Rouse.

The state civil liberties union is getting involved, citing First Amendment concerns.

I think I'm with the school on this one.

8 comments:

drmagoo said...

Gotta disagree with you there, Peter. He's not commiting a crime, he's not dressed obscenely. He's dressed in a way many of us find odd, and he lives a lifestyle that is uncommon, but the school is practicing bigotry.

Peter said...

I'm still working through this one, Doc.

Anonymous said...

What, did his dress clash with yours? Schools forcing students to fit a mold only makes them push back harder and in many cases that pesky Constitution + ammendments are on their side.

I really don't want to live in a world where everyone dresses like you.

Rousing Rabble said...

Sorry Pete.... here's one where the school has no legal ground to stand on. This student was dressing in a feminine way all year long. At no time did the school move to halt or alter his dress/accessorizing. This is simply a case of a principal saying that a young man's sexuality wasn't within HIS bounds of good taste. I see absolutely NO chance that he loses if he chooses to sue - and if he sued, I wouldn't blame him -- any more than I'd blame my step-son from suing if his high school said he couldn't kiss his boyfriend, while heterosexual couples could do everything but perform fellatio/cunnilingus in the cafeteria without anyone lifting a finger to stop it...

schmidlap said...

I'm with the Doc and RR. No harm, no foul. It's just clothes and makeup.

Now, if he'd dressed like Tucker Carlson, they'd have been well within the bounds of decency to ban him...

ZuZu's Petals said...

Yeah, Pete, it's not like he wore a Thank God, W is My President tee shirt.

BTW, did he have a date?

drmagoo said...

Why do you ask, zuzu? Looking for some action this weekend? ;)

ZuZu's Petals said...

Too much action for me Doc!! And geez, the kid could be my son/daughter!!

:-)