Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I think you need to check those numbers, folks

Driving 50 miles each way to work, I'm somewhat sensitive to the ever-elevating gas prices. Every time gas jumps by 20 cents, it's another $3 a week or $150 a year. So, when I see forecasts that gas prices are expected to jump again this summer, I get nervous. From CNN.com:

The department, in its seasonal forecast, said the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline will jump to $2.62 over the summer, up from last summer's average of $2.37 a gallon.

But here's where I'm confused:

The average price for a gallon of regular rose another cent Tuesday to $2.686, according to a AAA survey.

So, gas prices will rise to $2.62, but they're already at $2.69. Hmm. Math is, indeed, part of the axis of evil.

BTW, it was $2.79 driving in this morning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's an economics lesson for you:

Your $150/year increase does nothing for the economy. However, when you give that to Exxxon they can turn it into BILLIONS! Now THAT is good for the economy. What would you rather have "fueling" our economy, $150 or $BILLIONS$???

It's just like our tax refunds. I can't to much with my pennies, but when you give it to millionaires it adds up to ECONOMIC PROGRESS!

I think I'll coin a new word today:

Exxonomics; An economic method of redirecting money to the wealthiest tier for the good of the entire economy.

Rousing Rabble said...

It is possible that the AAA survey was only for the 6 county Chicago area... The national average tends to be pretty far below the cost here in northern IL

drmagoo said...

Why would the AAA survey reported by CNN only be of Chicagoland?

Rousing Rabble said...

Good point. I didn't see the CNN.com attribution at the top of your piece.... my bad