Monday, October 03, 2005

Hacky Sack? Captain Crony?

Harriet Miers has been nominated by Blinky the Chimp to a lifetime seat on the U.S. Supreme Court.

I repeat, Harriet Miers.

The overwhelming response so far has been,
"WHO???"

The proper response should be

"Oh my God, not again!"

Here we go again, another crony put in a position where they have no business being.

A woman with no judicial experience, a fiece Bush loyalist who helped Governor W to cover up his little drinky drivy problem and the former director of the Texas State Lottery (and the fifth winning number is seven!). Now if those aren't qualifications for the Supreme Court, I don't know what are. Buddy-system government, cronies in the capital, call it what you want, but this is a national disgrace.

Another point from a purely legal standpoint. I love it when conservative judges, as a means to advance their agenda, call themselves "strict constructionists" and say that they adhere to "original intent."

Are we channelling James Madison now, is George Mason speaking to you through messages in the classifieds?

Just a quick note on this. "Original intent" sounds good in theory, and the old boys did the best job they could in Philadelphia that summer, but--they were by no means perfect. Their document protected slavery and treated slaves as 3/5ths of a person. The constitution contained no right to vote and provided that the senate would be appointed by state legislators. After all, it was 1787. I would suggest to (I hope she is never) Justice Miers, if she wants to interpret the law as if it were 1787, I suggest she return there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't decide if she looks like Bette Davis (during her "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" days) or the eccentric Mrs. Dudcek from "3rd Rock from the Sun".

Anyway, she's an idealogue, a crony, a lapdog. I don't like her and I hope she brings a filibuster which, in turn, will bring the Republican "nuclear option". I simply enjoy the Republicans bringing the country down to its knees - it shows the actual behavior of Republicans: they love America, but they hate Americans.